Monday, April 15, 2019

If I Could Go back in Time: My Advice to My Past Self



Although I have appreciated everything I've learned while here at South, there are definitely some things that I would have done differently. In this week's blog, I'll share the number one tip that I would give myself before starting college.

I changed my major about three different times before finally settling on strategic communication. All throughout high school, I thought I wanted to work in healthcare. So I spent my first three years of college studying biomedical sciences and nursing. I went through one year of the nursing program, and once I actually started working at the hospital, as a student CNA, and going to clinicals, I realized that I did not want to work in healthcare

I wish I had kept an open mind about the different career possibilities I could pursue before starting college. I would advise anyone that is not sure, and even those of you who are sure of their future goals, to really research and explore all the different possibilities you have. Take personality quizzes, really try to learn what you like to do before you commit to a major. Learn about the various career paths you can take with any major you are considering.

Choosing your major is such a huge decision, and you want to make sure that you explore are your options and don't feel obligated to stay in one program because you've already started it or it was something you always thought you were going to do.

I never would have thought I would love the communication and
marketing fields, but here I am about graduate with a degree in strategic communication.

-Paola

No comments:

Post a Comment

The biggest lesson I've learned South: Discovering my passions

  I've learned a lot over the last few years at South. I'll be graduating this fall, and I don't think I would be the same pe...